Transitioning to KU
- Apply to KU (Note: ACT/SAT scores are NOT needed if you're over 21 years old.) New to college and need help completing your application? Reach out to Melody with KU TRIO EOC.
- Undergraduate admission application fee waivers are available for veterans who are applying as degree-seeking students.
- KU awards some college credit for military courses. Visit the KU credit transfer page and look for the “military service credit” section for more details. To get credit for military courses, order a copy of your military transcripts from the JST system. (Air Force – get yours from the CCAF). Visit KU CredTran to see how JST/CCAF courses have historically transferred. For JST, select the state, "District of Columbia." For CCAF, select "Alabama."
- You may be eligible for foreign language proficiency credits, credit from CLEP exams, and/or credit for high school work: Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate (regardless of when you graduated high school). Visit the Credit and Exemption for High School Work page to learn more.
- You may be eligible for exemptions from KU Core Goals
- Learn more about applying to graduate school.
- Please note: We currently do not have application fee waivers for graduate students.
- Steps to using GI Bill benefits at KU. Includes information on
- Ch. 30 - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty
- Ch. 31 - Veteran Readiness & Employment (previously Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Ch. 33 - Post 9-11 GI Bill
- Frequently asked questions about using benefits
In-state tuition rates per the Armed Forces Residency benefit for:
- GI Bill users
- Veterans stationed in Kansas during service or were Kansas residents prior to joining the service
- Active Duty, Reservists or Kansas National Guardsmen
- Yellow Ribbon Program funding is only for Post-9/11 GI Bill users NOT eligible for in-state tuition (i.e. those living outside of Kansas while attending classes at KU). No need for Yellow Ribbon if you live in Kansas while attending KU.
- Online students: Most online programs offer flat-rate tuition, so no need to apply for residency.
- Need help completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)? And/or has your income changed in the past couple of years? Reach out to Melody with KU TRIO EOC. She can provide 1:1 direct support to help you navigate the process. You may be eligible for grants you don't have to pay back based on your current income.
- Scholarships offered specifically for KU military-affiliated students and nation-wide military-affiliated scholarships
- Other financial aid information
Programs & Resources for Students
Located in 345 Summerfield Hall, we offer study and meeting spaces, computers, a 24-7 lounge, and dedicated staff to provide support tailored to all military-affiliated students. Learn more about the center.
- Nontraditional Student Services information and resources
- On-campus childcare & childcare grants
- Information for commuter students
- On-campus apartments (McCarthy Hall, Jayhawk Towers, Stouffer Place)
- Veterans Service Rep. to assist with disability compensation benefits, VA appeals, etc.
- About the city of Lawrence
Health Insurance from the Military & VA
You may be eligible for VA health care simply based on your income as a college student, and there is a VA outpatient clinic 3.6 miles away from the Lawrence campus. Learn more and apply for VA health care benefits.
TRICARE beneficiaries: The on-campus Watkins Health Center is not an in-network provider, but students can receive some services for free or reduced rates. Learn more about TRICARE and Watkins Health Center.