Welcome, Veterans!

We are so glad you are joining the KU community! Located in 345 Summerfield, we are your centralized resource and offer study and meeting spaces, a 24-7 lounge, dedicated staff to provide support tailored to all military-affiliated students, and more.

Transitioning to KU

Undergraduate students
  • Apply to KU (Note: ACT/SAT scores are NOT needed if you're over 21 years old.) New to college and need help completing your application? Reach out to Melody with KU TRIO EOC.
    • Undergraduate admission application fee waivers are available for veterans who are applying as degree-seeking students.
  • KU awards some college credit for military courses. Visit the KU credit transfer page and look for the “military service credit” section for more details. To get credit for military courses, order a copy of your military transcripts from the JST system. (Air Force – get yours from the CCAF). Visit KU CredTran to see how JST/CCAF courses have historically transferred. For JST, select the state, "District of Columbia." For CCAF, select "Alabama."
  • You may be eligible for foreign language proficiency credits, credit from CLEP exams, and/or credit for high school work: Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate (regardless of when you graduated high school). Visit the Credit and Exemption for High School Work page to learn more.
  • You may be eligible for exemptions from KU Core Goals
Graduate students

Make sure you maximize those GI Bill benefits — Reach out to our VetSuccess on Campus counselor, Angela, who can help you identify the right major for your career interest, show you job trends/career paths and more.

Once you're admitted to KU, follow the steps for new students.

  • Steps to using GI Bill benefits at KU. Includes information on
    • Ch. 30 - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty
    • Ch. 31 - Veteran Readiness & Employment (previously Vocational Rehabilitation)
    • Ch. 33 - Post 9-11 GI Bill
    • Frequently asked questions about using benefits

In-state tuition rates per the Armed Forces Residency benefit for:

  • GI Bill users
  • Veterans stationed in Kansas during service or were Kansas residents prior to joining the service
  • Active Duty, Reservists or Kansas National Guardsmen
  • Yellow Ribbon Program funding is only for Post-9/11 GI Bill users NOT eligible for in-state tuition (i.e. those living outside of Kansas while attending classes at KU). No need for Yellow Ribbon if you live in Kansas while attending KU.
  • Online students: Most online programs offer flat-rate tuition, so no need to apply for residency.



Programs & Resources for Students

  • KU Student Veterans of America – student organization open to all KU students. Service and leadership opportunities to help advance military-affiliated students' interests on campus.
  • VA Work Study – on-campus job opportunity for GI Bill users

Located in 345 Summerfield Hall, we offer study and meeting spaces, computers, a 24-7 lounge, and dedicated staff to provide support tailored to all military-affiliated students. Learn more about the center.


Health Insurance from the Military & VA

You may be eligible for VA health care simply based on your income as a college student, and there is a VA outpatient clinic 3.6 miles away from the Lawrence campus. Learn more and apply for VA health care benefits.

TRICARE beneficiaries: The on-campus Watkins Health Center is not an in-network provider, but students can receive some services for free or reduced rates. Learn more about TRICARE and Watkins Health Center.

Preparing for the Next Chapter

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site."