Military and Veteran Honor Cords
Applications for the Spring/Summer 2022 Honor Cords can be found at the bottom of this page.
KU recognizes student veterans, military students and ROTC students who have met certain academic thresholds with Military and Veteran Honor Cords to wear at graduation.
These red, white and blue academic honor cords signify specific academic achievements of those who have made an unwavering commitment to their nation.
This is a voluntary program. Students attending graduation must apply for a free cord once they have been approved for graduation.
Please note that we cannot guarantee that mailed honor cords will arrive before your ceremony. If you are able, we recommend receiving your honor cord at our recognition ceremony on Wednesday, May 4 or picking it up in person starting Monday, May 9.
You must have applied for and been approved for graduation and be:
An honorably discharged student veteran, or
Currently serving military student (Active, Guard, Reserves), or
ROTC student who will be commissioning upon graduation
Undergraduate students must also have an anticipated cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. You can use the GPA calculator to determine if your anticipated final semester grades positively affect your eligibility.
Graduate students – GPA verification is not needed.
What we need to verify status
If you're a VA education benefits user, we can verify your eligibility with your student ID number - please include in the form below
DD-214 if prior service. We recommend blacking out your SSN for privacy purposes
Most recent LES or valid military ID card if currently serving. Expired IDs and veteran ID cards cannot be used. If you wish to show an ID, for security purposes please show your ID when picking up your cord or we will set up a quick video appointment. Do not submit it via the online form.
Where/when to pick up cords
All Lawrence campus and online students will sign up for their cord using the survey below. The survey will become active each semester when the window to apply opens.
Spring 2022 graduates:
Primary pick up (Lawrence campus). KU's End-of-Year Military-Affiliated Community Recognition Ceremony, May 4, 4:30-6 p.m., Forum B, Burge Union. Honor Cords ceremony begins at 5:15. All honor cord recipients, regardless of campus location, are welcome to participate; just fill out the request form below.
Secondary pick up (Lawrence campus) beginning Monday, May 9, 345 Summerfield Hall.
- Online graduates (regardless of campus): We can mail your cord to you if you are unable to pick up locally.
The following do NOT need to fill out the survey unless you wish to attend the Lawrence campus ceremony:
- ROTC graduates: You will get your cords from your ROTC instructor.
- Edwards Campus graduates: You will get your cords from Lisa Browning. Pick up between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Tuesdays, May 3 or 10 or Thursday, May 5. If you are an online student who does not live in the area, fill out the request form below and do NOT mark yourself as an Edwards campus student so you can complete the form.
- Leavenworth site graduates:
- MS-OL/MBA and MS-SCM/MBA - Steve Leonard will present your cords in Leavenworth or will mail them if you have PCSed.
- ISP - Mike Wuthrich will present your cords in Leavenworth.
- Project Management - your instructors will present your cords in Leavenworth.
- For any other graduating students, go ahead and complete the request form below and do NOT mark yourself as a Leavenworth campus student so you can complete the form.
- KU Medical Center (KC, Salina and KUSM-W) graduates: Visit KUMC's page for more information.
Cords recycling option
If you do not want to keep your honor cord after graduation, we encourage you to recycle it by dropping it off at 345 Summerfield Hall (1300 Sunnyside Avenue). You may drop off during our open hours or place it in a designated bin inside our 24/7 lounge (your KU ID is needed to swipe into the lounge outside of normal hours and to swipe into Summerfield on the weekends).