Welcome, Dependents!

We are so glad you are joining the KU community! We recognize the unique background, needs and strengths military dependents bring to KU and foster an environment that is welcoming and inclusive of all our military-affiliated students.

Transitioning to KU

Undergraduate students
Graduate students
  • Steps to using GI Bill benefits at KU Includes information on:
    • Chapter 33 - Post 9-11 GI Bill
    • Chapter 33 - Fry Scholarship
    • Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)
    • Frequently asked questions about using benefits
  • VA Work Study – on-campus jobs in the Military-Affiliated Student Center for GI Bill users. Visit our Get Involved page to learn more. 

You may be eligible to apply for in-state tuition rates per the Armed Forces Residency (AFRB) benefit if:

  • You are eligible for the GI Bill/DEA
  • Your sponsor was stationed in Kansas during service and/or was a Kansas resident prior to joining the service
  • You are the dependent of current Active Duty, Reservist, or Kansas National Guard member
  • Note: The deadline to apply for AFRB is the 30th day of classes.

Yellow Ribbon Program funding is available for Post-9/11 GI Bill users NOT eligible for in-state tuition (i.e. those living outside of Kansas while attending classes at KU). No need for Yellow Ribbon if you live in Kansas while attending KU; apply for AFRB instead.

Online students: Most online programs offer flat-rate tuition.

If you would like a third party (i.e. parent) to access and/or ask questions about your accounts, you must delegate access to them.

Delegates can be authorized to pay bills, check VA benefits status, and conduct other account related business.

Programs & Resources for Students

Located in 345 Summerfield Hall, we offer dependents study and meeting spaces, computers, a 24-7 lounge, dedicated staff to provide support tailored to all military-affiliated students, and more. Learn more about the center.

TRICARE/CHAMPVA Considerations, Military ID Card Info

  • TRICARE/CHAMPVA beneficiaries: The on-campus Watkins Health Center is not an in-network provider. Learn more about insurance and Watkins Health Center
    • KU's Watkins Health Center provides health care to currently enrolled KU students. Every Lawrence campus student at KU pays a health fee each semester as part of the mandatory campus fees. It is not optional. The health fee entitles the student to be seen by WHS providers at no charge for the office visit. However, if the provider orders lab tests, X-rays, medications, etc., there are charges for those services. Students receive a reduced rate for those charges which are very often well below the local market. This health fee is not the same as health insurance.
  • Learn more about going to college and using TRICARE in the local community.
  • If you need proof of enrollment for TRICARE/CHAMPVA continued eligibility, visit our school enrollment verification letters page.

Turning 21 and need proof of enrollment to renew your military ID card?

Preparing for the Next Chapter

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). For more information, see the GI Bill Trademark terms of use."