Transitioning to KU
- Steps to using GI Bill benefits at KU Includes information on:
- Chapter 33 - Post 9-11 GI Bill
- Chapter 33 - Fry Scholarship
- Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)
- Frequently asked questions about using benefits
In-state tuition rates per the Armed Forces Residency benefit for:
- Dependents eligible for the GI Bill/DEA
- Dependents of veterans who were stationed in Kansas during service and/or were Kansas residents prior to joining the service
- Dependents of current Active Duty, Reservists, and Kansas National Guardsmen
Yellow Ribbon Program funding is available for Post-9/11 GI Bill users NOT eligible for in-state tuition (i.e. those living outside of Kansas while attending classes at KU). No need for Yellow Ribbon if you live in Kansas while attending KU.
Online students: Most online programs offer flat-rate tuition, so no need to apply for residency if that's the case with your program.
- Scholarships offered specifically for KU military-affiliated students and nation-wide military-affiliated scholarships
- Need help completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)? Reach out to Melody with KU TRIO EOC. She can provide 1:1 direct support to help you navigate the process.
- Other financial aid information
If you would like a third party (i.e. parent) to access and/or ask questions about your accounts, you must delegate access to them.
Delegates can be authorized to pay bills, check VA benefits status, and conduct other account related business.
Programs & Resources for Students
Located in 345 Summerfield Hall, we offer dependents study and meeting spaces, computers, a 24-7 lounge, dedicated staff to provide support tailored to all military-affiliated students, and more. Learn more about the center.
Health Insurance from the Military & VA Considerations
- TRICARE beneficiaries: The on-campus Watkins Health Center is not an in-network provider, but students can receive some services for free or reduced rates. Learn more about TRICARE and Watkins Health Center.
- TRICARE/CHAMPVA continued eligibility steps