Welcome, Guard and Reserve Members!
Transitioning to KU
- Apply to KU (Note: ACT/SAT scores are NOT needed if you're over 21 years old.)
- We offer undergraduate admission application fee waivers for Guard/Reservists who apply as degree-seeking students.
- KU awards some college credit for military courses. Visit the KU credit transfer page and look for the “military service credit” section for more details. To get credit for military courses, order a copy of your military transcripts from the JST system. (Air Force – get yours from the CCAF). Visit KU CredTran to see how JST/CCAF courses have historically transferred, as well as any other college coursework. For JST, select the state, "District of Columbia." For CCAF, select "Alabama."
- You may be eligible for foreign language proficiency credits, credit from CLEP exams, and/or credit for high school work: Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate (regardless of when you graduated high school). Visit the Credit and Exemption for High School Work page to learn more.
- Learn more about applying to graduate school.
- Please note: We currently do not have application fee waivers for graduate students.
- Steps to using GI Bill benefits at KU. Includes information on
- Ch. 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill - Select Reserve
- Ch. 30 - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty
- Ch. 33 - Post 9-11 GI Bill
- Link to WAVE for monthly enrollment verification
- Frequently asked questions about using benefits
In-state tuition rates per the Armed Forces Residency benefit for:
- Current Reserve, Kansas National Guard, or Active Duty service members
- Those eligible for GI Bill benefits
- Veterans stationed in Kansas during service or were Kansas residents prior to joining the service
Yellow Ribbon Program funding is only for Post-9/11 GI Bill users NOT eligible for in-state tuition (i.e. those only living outside of Kansas while attending classes at KU). No need for Yellow Ribbon if you live in Kansas while attending KU.
Online students: Most online programs offer flat-rate tuition, so no need to apply for residency
Programs & Resources for Students
Located in 345 Summerfield Hall, we offer dependents study and meeting spaces, computers, CAC readers, a 24-7 lounge, dedicated staff to provide support tailored to all military-affiliated students, and more. Learn more about the center.
Health Insurance from the Military & VA
TRICARE beneficiaries: The on-campus Watkins Health Center is not an in-network provider, but students can receive some services for free or reduced rates. Learn more about TRICARE and Watkins Health Center.
If you were called to active duty by a federal order and completed the full period for which you were called/ordered to active duty, you may be eligible for VA health care, and there is a VA outpatient clinic 3.6 miles away from the Lawrence campus. Learn more and apply for VA health care benefits. (If you had or have active-duty status for training purposes only, you don't qualify for VA health care.)